Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Cargo Activating Primer- Review

I've got another primer review for you all from the hunt to find the perfect non-comedogenic primer for my skin. Introducing the Cargo blu_ray Activating Face Primer. 
This primer is fairly new on the market and retails for $32 CND (or $28 CND on theshoppingchannel.com, where I got it with free shipping. Yay free shipping!) Cargo claims that this primer helps with foundation application, blurs pores and imperfections and mattifies. It is oil, wax, talc, fragrance, paraben and silicone free and they also state that within 30 days it will reduce shine and refine pores too. They mention something about preventing pore calcification, but honestly since I've never even heard about calcification of pores before I can't judge on this factor.
In 30 days I'll be updating about how it worked on the longer term factors but onto the primers capabilities.
When I first got this I was surprised by how small it was. I've got small hands and as you can see it doesn't measure up to my hand in length (nor width either, it's only about two finger widths wide). Though it does hold a full ounce of product. The packaging looks nice and sleek with a shiny black squeeze tube that works wonderfully to dispense the exact amount of product you need. 
The product itself? It doesn't really mattify much. After a days wear I'm still just as oily at the end of the day, possibly even a bit oiler than normal. It also doesn't do much in the way of blurring imperfections and pores. Though it does sink into the skin well, and allows foundation to glide on like a dream, I don't see too much of a difference in the blurring of pores. It dries quickly and though I've applied multiple layers it doesn't seem to help too much. Though, because foundation goes on better, it looks smoother on which does help blur my pores a bit but I think that's more an asset of my foundation than the primer being unique in this aspect. Here's a before and after primer comparison.

Before Applying Cargo Activating Primer,
 After applying my Murad Acne treatment
After applying Cargo Activating Primer

As you can see my pores are still highly visible (especially scary up close like this!) and shine is maybe a little dampened (which may just be how the light hit my cheekbone at that moment). But it's better than nothing, and it really does help my foundation apply smoother as it's less likely to highlight drier spots and brush strokes. 

Here's another comparison on my hand before and after:
After
Before

I think the slight lines are a little more blurred here, but it's not enough to say a definite yes or no to- I may just be imagining it. Both sets of comparison shots were not touched up other than to make them a bit brighter and the lighting was the same (Or at least I tried to keep it the same natural light angle- the sun didn't exactly cooperate) for both before and after pictures. As you can see from the second picture the primer is a milky gel that goes transparent when spread out. 

I'll have an update in 30 days to see if the primer's other claims hold true. If it does that then the lack of blurring of pores and matting ability with the immediate application of the primer would be made up for. For now though if you only want a primer for it's help in foundation application and possible good skin effects this will work, but I don't recommend it. I think there are better primers out there, like the Nars Primer I reviewed before. Though this primer has no scent and the Nars one had a slight one, the Nars I thought blurred pores better and is a better value for money.

Overall Rating: 6/10 It does blur pores a very small amount and I've had no adverse reactions. It also allows foundation to apply particularly well but I'd like better oil control and more imperfection hiding capabilities.

EDIT: See the second half of this review HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment